Tuesday 20 May 2008

Shout Out Louds - Our Ill Wills (Album)




Shout Out Louds - Tonight I Have To Leave It

Nobody does twee-indie-pop like the scandinavians or more specifically the Swedish and Shout Out Louds are no exception. It's taken me several listens to get into this album properly because it initially struck me as a rather melancholy affair. The lyrics (included in the sleeve) seem to be about lost love, unrequited love or just a lack of having somebody to give love to and are sung by an impossibly cute sounding Swedish boy pouring his heart out in broken English. A friend also pointed out that their sound was heavily influenced by The Cure (not that i'd know as i'm disgustingly ill-informed about old music). Feeling miserable yet? Yes, me too but it was only when i played this album after a particularly bad night that i felt the underlying themes of hope and joy in the tracks. They're not immediately apparent but as with any situation it depends how you look at it, the rousing strings, plinky-plonky pianos and mischievous percussion lines suggest that this is an album about heartbreak and loss but at the same time the Shout Out Louds are glad to have loved and lost, after all they've experienced it before and they know it's always darkest before the dawn. This CD leaves me feeling a bit sorry for myself but certain that there's going to be a pretty blonde Swedish girl around the next corner who's going to ask me if i want to go for a coffee, giggle at my jokes and kiss me on the cheek when we part.

This is their second album and was produced by Bjorn Yttling who is better known as Bjorn from Peter Bjorn and John. 'Tonight I Have To Leave It' is the first (and possibly only) single to be released from this record.

No comments: