Tuesday 12 August 2008

Mega Live Bands Update

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, here's a few bands that i've seen recently that have really impressed me.

Lykke Li



Lykke Li - Breaking It Up

Arguably, a setting has as much to do with the quality of a performance as anything else so it's not surprising that on a brilliantly sunny day, sat on a grassy Malvern hillside with a cup of cider in hand i rather enjoyed Lykke Li. It would be incredibly unfair to attribute this all to the environment though as she managed to convince a whole field's worth of people that she's not just another twee Swedish songstress or an apple advert one hit wonder. Her songs sounded ideal for a festival set and were a lot more punchy and danceable than i was expecting, this was a performance that made me want to buy her album and that's the highest regard i can offer. This is the last (and my favourite) song she played.

The Woo!Worths





The woo!Worths - Konichiwa

You could call me biased about the next 2 as they both played at a gig organised by my friend but that would be ignoring the fact that they were really good and made me dance around whilst (relatively) sober. The Woo!worths are a two piece synth pop band who make catchy songs to dance to with computers, drum machines and real instruments. 'Konichiwa' sounds like Daft Punk would if they hadn't been robotised. They also make references to Flight Of The Conchords which immediately wins them points in my book.

My Tiger My Timing



My Tiger My Timing - This Is Not The Fire

My Tiger My Timing remind me of early Hot Chip and by that i mean the stuff on their 'Coming On Strong' album, all downtempo, soft and funky electro-soul-pop with touches of brilliant weirdness, in fact that's a pretty good description - job done. Unfortunately they haven't got any songs on imeem and i haven't got any to upload so you'll just have to check them out on their myspace.

Edit: They have now, i just uploaded it, hopefully they'll clear it for full listening soon

Quiet Village





Quiet Village - Pacific Rhythm

I can't tell you too much about why i enjoyed Quiet Village's set so much because it forced me into some sort of otherworldy trance but i'll recall what i can remember. It was a basic set up with the two guys on the right of the stage behind a desk of computers and equipment, hung at the back in the center of the stage was a screen with projected 70s film footage of beaches, sunsets, lovers and waves. It began to rain, i clung to the rail just underneath the tip of the tent covering the stage to stay dry and began to feel a little disappointed that they were effectively pressing play on the album tracks to some apt but slightly dull footage. What happened after that i can't remember, i know the following things:
1) The songs they played were not from the album.
2) The visuals were so absorbing i felt like i was living inside them.
3) I was so overwhelmed by the whole experience i routinely turned to the (poor) bloke next to me (who had probably only come close to avoid the rain) and rambled madly at him about how amazing it was.
4) i became aware of where i was again at the end of the set and clapped until they'd both fully exited the stage knowing that i'd just witnessed something very special.

No comments: